You guys are in for a treat tonight! (Fact #1: I kind of hate the word “treat.” Fact #2: Taylor kind of hates the word “caboose.”)
Who is Taylor, you ask?
Taylor is my dear friend at Michigan State, who also happens to be the creator of the video blog, Everyday by Tay. And tonight, Everyday by Tay and So THIS is college are joining forces to bring you one super-duper post about the joys of Thanksgiving. (applause!)
Aside from a few football games, Thanksgiving is just about November’s one redeeming factor. Without it, the month would be a huge drag. And for many of us, Thanksgiving is the first time we’ve been home for a while.
So what do we like about Thanksgiving?
- When your Wednesday classes are cancelled. If it weren’t for her class being cancelled, Taylor wouldn’t be going home until 4 p.m. tomorrow. Instead, she went home a few hours ago.
- Home-cooked meals. Thanksgiving is the mother of all home-cooked meals. Our dorm cafeteria had a Thanksgiving dinner last night, and it didn’t even compare to what we’ll be eating Thursday evening. Turkey? Mashed potatoes? Green bean casserole? Mmmmmm.
- Seeing people you haven’t seen in a billion years. Or three or four months. My best friend goes to school in South Carolina and one of my sisters lives in Baltimore. I’m seeing them both tomorrow for the first time since August. I’m basically peeing myself. Taylor, on the other hand, sees her brother every weekend and her best friend goes to Central. But that doesn’t mean she isn’t happy to see them!
- More sleep.
- Cookies. Unless you’re me. Then it’s pie.
And now, for what we DON’T like about Thanksgiving.
- When your Wednesday classes aren’t cancelled. Not only do I have two classes tomorrow, my first class starts at 8:30 a.m. So while Taylor will be at home snuggled in bed, I will be up to my knees in economics and pre-calculus. No me gusta.
- The over-affectionate family member. We know you love us. Stop kissing me, please.
- The dreaded, “So, how’s school?” question. I’m considering dropping out and joining the circus. But I know you don’t want to hear that.
- The drunken relative. Let’s be honest, that’s my entire family. (Let’s be honest: I actually love it.)
- Doing homework over Thanksgiving. Why would I want to be writing a psychology paper when I could be stuffing my face with pie/cookies? Seriously.
- Coming back to school. It’s not that we don’t love East Lansing. It’s just the dread of finals week that makes us want to go into hibernation. Worst three weeks ever.
And now, ladies and germs: Taylor making cookies.